Sunday, December 12, 2010

The Moment You've Been Waiting For!



No, I'm not pregnant.

Derek was sworn in to the Army and was given his assignment! He reports to Basic Training on June 27th. Basic is 8 weeks, and then he moves on to Officer Candidate School for another 12. Basic Training will be in Fort Jackson, South Carolina and Officer Candidate School is in Fort Benning, Georgia (where Derek was born!). Six weeks into his training, he'll know if he has qualified to be an Aviator, and if he does we will be moving to Fort Rucker, Alabama. (Hello fried chicken.)

I am very proud of Derek and the amazing work he has accomplished in his lifetime thus far. He is a top-notch guy with sky-high potential and I am always proud to say I'm his wife.

People keep asking how I feel about entering into the military life and honestly, I sit on the fence sometimes! Being apart from the person I love most is something I brace myself for every day. You know the feeling of being strapped in to a roller coaster and being so nervous but you can't back out because they've already checked your buckle and the guy is about to push the "blast off" button? That's about how I feel about Derek leaving. I'm bracing myself for the ridiculously scary beginning, but I'm sure the ride will be an experience to remember. As we got ready for church this morning, we were talking about how strange it is that some of our best friends could be in some far away place but we haven't met them yet. Those are the experiences I'll be excited to have! Trying new restaurants, experiencing new cultures...and knowing that it is completely temporary if we choose to make it that way!

So I am officially a military wife. Should I get a tattoo? Maybe knock one of my teeth out? Get some hair extensions that are a different color than my natural hair? Ooh, or some butt implants. Geez, guys- I just want to fit in! ; )

I told Derek that being military allows you to be ghetto- no matter the skin color. I let him know he is now allowed to wear Ecko and South Pole. Love you, Derek!

*The above picture is Derek getting sworn in by Mike Fisher, a guy he works with in his calling at church. He was so lucky his good friend could do this for him!

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HEY! Were not all Ghetto! Ha ha Congrats to you guys the Army is crazy! Welcome to your new life.

    ReplyDelete