Monday, July 4, 2011

Bang, Bang!

Happy Fourth of July. This weekend has been hopping!

Thank you to all who have kept me in your thoughts in prayers because I have been fortunate enough to be invited places by people I've recently met- and it has kept my mind and body busy! Away from the weepy, lonely moments of late.

Saturday, Fort Benning hosted a HUGE extravaganza. At 3 pm, they had an entire field dedicated to families with kids. There were free sippy cups, free candy, free t-shirts, and free events. Bun-jee jumper things, blow up bouncers for kids and TONS of food. There was roasted corn on the cob, funnel cakes, and even homemade sodas (I guess those are famous here- called Hillbilly's Homemade Sodas). We scorched ourselves out in the Georgia heat for only an hour and a half and thought we were going to die. We even had cold Gatorade and shaved ice to cool us off! Here are some pictures:



Look at all those soldiers! It was so cool to see them all. Some in vests with guns, walking the Military Police dog, some in orange reflector vests, some with their OCS neck scarfs on...so cool.




I tell you- I have lived in Arizona where I walked ONE MILE to the University of Arizona from my parking space and ONE MILE back to my car in the 110 degree weather with 50 pounds of books and NOTHING is as hot as this crazy Georgia sun with its humidity. Holy cow.

We have had fun so far this weekend. We went to a BBQ at some member's of our ward's house after we left Ft. Benning. And today we have a BBQ at some other friends' house! But still no word from Derek...

Happy Independence Day, everyone.

4 comments:

  1. Happy 4th!
    Are fireworks allowed in GA?!?
    In NM there are all canceled & Houston plus other places...
    Indiana plus Georgia are humid so get ready for the freezing wind chill.
    :0~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! That looks fun! I can't wait to see you guys! And I'm sorry you haven't heard from Derek. There will be times where you don't hear from him and its the worst and you feel like crap but he will call when he can :) Love you! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute!!! Looks like you guys had tons of fun!!!
    I'm so glad that you have had such busy-ness!! That really does help!
    Keep the faith! We get to see you in 1 1/2 weeks! YAY YAY YAY YAY YAY WE CAN'T WAIT!!!
    We sure love you lots!
    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  4. What I love about the south is the people! I love that your ward is so awesome and welcoming. We know 2 families in our whole ward. Our ward is not friendly and no one really talks to us :/ I'm glad they are going out of their way to make you feel welcome. You will get used to the humidity when you've been there a while. I feel like I'll NEVER get used to this heat!!

    ReplyDelete