Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Toy Story "Betcha Didn't Know"s

It seems that lately the only shows my child will watch are Toy Story...and Toy Story 2. Sadly, he doesn't like Toy Story 3. But it's not my favorite either. I got to thinking about the voices of the characters and I got on Wikipedia to check some things out. I was amazed at all the things I learned! Check it out!

Obviously Tom Hanks is the voice of Woody. And although I want to flick him in the nose for the LDS/FLDS confusion on Big Love (yes I've seen it, it's kind of addicting), he is a phenomenal actor and I love his part as Woody.


Tim Allen plays the voice of Buzz Lightyear. I love Tim Allen. He's one of those actors that I feel like I know. Like, if I met him, I would feel like I'm talking to an old friend.


Alright- here's where it gets interesting.

Don Rickles is the voice of Mr. Potato Head. This man is 85 years old! He has been around so long, he knew Frank Sinatra, and had guest appearances on I Dream of Genie, The Andy Griffith Show, The Dick Van Dyke Show, The Munsters, and Get Smart.


Estelle Harris plays Mrs. Potato Head. She is also old- I would have had no idea! She is 83. She has been in The Suite Life of Zack and Cody, Ponyo, and played Estelle Costanza on Seinfeld.


John Ratzenberger, who is 64, plays the voice of the piggy bank named Hamm. I think he is the toy with the funniest lines. He played Cliff Clavin on the TV show Cheers, he was the voice of P.T. Flea on A Bug's Life, the Abominable Snowman in Monsters, Inc., and Mack the truck in Cars.


Wallace Shawn plays the voice of Rex the dinosaur. Most of you would recognize his voice from when he played Vizzini in The Princess Bride in 1987.


Annie Potts is the voice of Bo Peep, Woody's love interest! She is Janine from Ghostbusters, which by the way, there will be a Ghostbusters 3 coming out in 2012. I better not tell my husband, because Ghostbusters 2 was what I was watching when I began going into labor! And our next baby is due in 2012...



Ronald Lee Ermey is the voice of Sarge, the main solder from the "Bucket O' Soldiers" on Toy Story. Did you know he is a retired U.S. Marine Corps Drill Sergeant?! Haha. Almost all of his roles in movies are military-related. He was a very decorated soldier back in his day, having received 2 bronze stars and many other awards for his service.


Jim Varney was the voice of Slinky Dog, but he was also Ernest in all of the "Ernest" shows. He died at the age of 50 from Lung Cancer, which was in 2000.


Erik von Detten plays the evil kid next door, Sid Phillips. He was also in The Princess Diaries.


John Morris is the voice of Andy, whose last name is Davis. Who would have known that??? Anyway- he is still the voice of Andy, even as a grown kid in Toy Story 3. Crazy! He was born in 1984 and graduated from UCLA in Theater.


Laurie Metcalf is the voice of Andy's mom, who is only known as Mrs. Davis. She is most popular for her role as Jackie on the TV series Roseanne. She also played Marcie in Uncle Buck, and has played guest roles in Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, Life with Louie, Malcolm in the Middle and 3rd Rock from the Sun.


Joan Cusack, sister of actor John Cusack, plays the voice of Jessie the Cowgirl on Toy Story 2.


Wayne Knight is Al from Al's Toy Barn. He looks exactly like his character! He is most popular for his role as Newman on Seinfeld.


I had no idea that Kelsey Grammer from Frasier was the voice of Stinky Pete.


And last but not least, Jodie Benson plays the voice of Tour Guide Barbie in Toy Story 2 and also the Barbie who meets Ken in Toy Story 3. She was the voice of Ariel from The Little Mermaid. After learning that fact and thinking back on the two voices, it totally makes sense! She is also the voice of Thumbelina, and the voice of Weebo in Flubber. Crazy!



Well, I hope you thought this was as cool as I did! My husband taught me the true beauty of Wikipedia! So when we would watch a movie, we would almost always Wikipedia it afterwards and find out all kinds of neat facts. Try it sometime!










3 comments:

  1. ha! that's so interesting. i love finding out facts about movies and the actors as well. it brings more depth to it i think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these fun facts! We LOVE Toy Story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Lauren when I wanna know something I will ask you and you can look it up for me.

    thank you!
    :0~

    ReplyDelete