Friday, April 6, 2012

3 myths about life.


I feel like each day that I get older, I get a tad bit more wise. I feel like I am handed facts, and that my head & heart ultimately end up deciding if they're true or not. There are a few things I've discovered as of late.

1. Breastfeeding. People say that your breastfed child's immune system rocks and that they'll rarely get sick. One lady even told me that the first time she ever took her son to the doctor due to illness (not just a checkup) was when he was 18 & she attributed it to breastfeeding. Well sorry, but I breastfed Titan for 11 months and he's been sick about a million times in his life! They also say that your chances of getting breast cancer are slim to none when breastfeeding. My grandmother breastfed all 7 of her children and got breast cancer about 10 years ago. Crazy! I'm still a full believer in "breast is best", but I don't think formula fed kids have much disadvantage when it comes to the nutritional outcome.

2. Gay marriage. I'm still a little bit on the fence with this one. My religious upbringing tells me it's not ordained of God (which I whole heartedly believe) but my observance of Gay couples tells me they are some of the most incredibly kind & loving people I've known. I even think they'd make better parents than many people out there. And although I don't think it's quite fair to bring a child into a family with two moms or two dads without explaining to them that it's not the norm, I still think they'd raise good children. And probably less judgmental children. In a sense, more CHRISTLIKE children. And when it comes down to it, whether the state recognizes them as a (legal) couple or not, they'll still live together, have pets together, and do their thing together. However, the thing that bothers me most about many people in the gay community is that they shove their beliefs in your face. Marching down the street with rainbow shirts that say "I'm gay" on them isn't helping anything. I don't walk around with a pink shirt that says "I'm heterosexual" on it. What's the point? So like anything else, I don't like when people slap me in the face with their beliefs and aggressively try to make me see eye to eye with them until they feel "accepted". Truth is, they may never fully be accepted. Segregation was done away with many years ago and yet I saw it in Georgia last summer when I lived there. The white people ate on one side of the restaurant and the blacks ate on the other. And when we sat in the black section, everyone looked at us like we were crazy. It was awkward. So my point is, if they're going to do their thing, fine. But I think everyone should keep extreme PDA to themselves. Just as I don't want to see a lesbian or gay couple making out at a restaurant or a movie or anywhere for that matter, I don't want to see a heterosexual couple doing it either. Be tactful. Be respectful. Love others. And don't judge. I think if I can remember those things, I'll be set. (I was kind of all over the place with that one, but you get the point.)

3. Dieting. Some say the only true way to lose weight is through a healthy diet. Maybe for SOME. But my entire life, I've eaten anything & everything I've wanted and stayed fairly small. I attribute this to genetics and exercise, not diet. In my personal opinion, exercise is far more important than counting every calorie. I think as people, we are kind of...what's the word...lazy. We don't want to exercise after a long day at work. And we'd rather turn on Netflix to watch Justin Bieber's "Never Say Never" on Saturday morning instead of going for a jog. There's even been talk of a diet pill that sends some chemical to the brain that makes your body burn calories as if you had exercised. Whaaaaat??? How does that even work? It's nuts. Just go outside! Anyway, I think it's such a scam that people feel like they have to be ONE SIZE. That women have to be a size 2 and men a 32 waist or smaller. Just be fit, be yourself, and be happy...whatever that size may be.

1 comment: