Sunday, June 6, 2010

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Summer

On Memorial Day, the family decided to have a little shin-dig. We had a couple of families from the ward, plus a good family friend over for some BBQ, games and swimming. Titan took a little ride on Bentley- Sheridan and Garrett's Boxer puppy. (Not so little like a puppy, however!)


Bentley, like Scooter, doesn't have much desire to swim in the pool as opposed to the rest of us. When Derek and Garrett coaxed him in, he got a little scared and held on to Derek for dear life! Poor Bentley.


Titan is at an age where EVERYTHING is so interesting to him- so from sun up to sun down, the kid took a couple of cat naps lasting a whopping half hour at MOST. So here he is, enjoying everyone after attempting to put him in the pool water. He didn't like that so much. He probably wondered why it wasn't like his other baths...that water was too cold! He was much happier here, basking in the warm sunshine.


After swimming a few times at my parents' pool, we've been tanned and we've been burned. Derek is shedding his skin like a snake, but his eyebrows and eyelash tips have been almost bleached blonde! I couldn't find a picture of him when he was really tan but I had found one of me from the summer of 2007 when I sold pest control in San Antonio. I was outside from about 12 noon until 9 PM. All day, everyday (except Sundays). By the end of the summer, I looked like a pinto bean. And this picture wasn't even at the end of the summer! It was just before the 4th of July!


Moving on from the topic of summertime, I am in Achievement Days in the ward. Last Wednesday, we took a trip to the fire station, where a member of the ward works. I had been to one before, and even ridden in the truck back when I was in high school and seriously contemplating a future as a firefighter. (I know, I know.) The firefighters at a nearby station in Albuquerque would come in to Dion's Pizza, where I used to work, and always talk with me. They'd tell me how to get my foot in the door, the type of work (and work-out!) that goes in to becoming a firefighter and so forth. I was on Homecoming Court at La Cueva as a Senior and as I walked up the aisle, they read over the mike different things about me, one of which was my dream of becoming a firefighter! (Just to prove how much I really did want to be one!) So anyways, back to Achievement Days. There was a firefighter there named J.J. One of the other fireman started looking around this large group of 8-11 year olds and their leaders, trying to find someone the size of J.J. to demonstrate how to put on all of the fire gear. Well, of course- he picks me. I said, "Sorry J.J.- I hope you're not offended, because I'm only 105 pounds". The fireman said they are required to put on all of their gear in less than 1 minute. How crazy! And all of the attire weighed about 50 pounds, he said. So here I was, strapping on the amount of weight I gained in my pregnancy! Ha! (But I made sure not to mention that aloud) Here is stage one...I put on the pants, jacket and oxygen tank.


Here, I put on the mask- which was wild because once it suctions to your face after you've pulled the straps tightly, your mask does this weird POP that's really strong and all of the sudden you're breathing out of a tube connected to your mask. Your voice is also put on an amplifier so everyone in pretty close range can hear you.


And here is the finished product! Saggy J.J. pants and all. (They'd have had to custom make my pants, for sure.)


Last but most definitely not least...I took these pictures the other day before we took a dip in the pool. Derek and Titan are the 2 sweetest boys in the world. (And so photogenic, too, don't you think?) I'm so grateful for my little family! Although the weekends go by waaaay too fast and the weeks never go by quite fast enough, we really love spending time together as a family. When dad's home, Titan never wants to sleep! He wants to make sure he knows what dad is up to! We both treasure our time when he is here, because we are his biggest fans. I love you guys! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment